Monday, August 2, 2010

My Running Story

So I thought after yesterday's post that today I would share my background as a runner. I'm going to go back, waaaaaay back, to how I first came into running in the first place. The reason I started running, way back when I joined the cross-country team as a scrawny middle schooler, was 'cos my brother did. Unlike my brother, I joined the track team too. I ran competitively all throughout high school, 3 seasons a year (cross-country, indoor and outdoor track). I was never all-state or anything, but I loved running and was able to go from the "B Team" to captain of the team. I am an incredibly competitive person so running is the perfect sport for me 'cos I get to be competitive with myself! I was asked to run in college, but didn't and even though I ran with my friends all through college I somehow lost that love of competition and ran mostly to stay in shape and keep off a beer gut.

I took a year long running hiatus after college, but started up again while living out at the Ranch where I took my running to a whole new level. I was just doing daily 3-5 mile runs with a friend of mine, nothing huge. Then one day this guest arrived at the Ranch and asked if any of the wranglers liked to run. We said yes so he came on a couple of our little 5 mile jaunts. Turns out he runs ULTRA marathons, which are insanely longer than marathons and usually cover a distance between 30-62 miles. He asked us if we'd like to go on a run in Grand Teton National Park with him on our day off, but we were obviously a little hesitant once we learned of the ultra-marathoning. First he suggested we run this 6 mile loop around the lake, then all of a sudden he was proposing this 13 mile run up a canyon. My friend and I both told him "no way, Jose!" but he kept insisting that we had no idea what we were capable of. And you know what? With a couple well-timed walk breaks, my friend and I ran 13.3 miles while climbing 1800 feet. It was the most amazing feeling in the world and one that I would love to duplicate. Here we are stopping for a quick photo at mile 6 after running up a HUGE hill!


Unfortunately, between grad school and student teaching, my running has all but fallen off the radar. I coach track and help with the cross-country team so I will run with my kids all the time in season, but I haven't done a great job keeping up with it on a regular basis. And I miss it! I miss the competition and I miss setting my sights on a goal and trying to achieve it. I miss trying to beat my own times and get better every race. I didn't realize I missed it so much until I came across the ad for the Ten Miler and I started thinking about running, what it means to me and why I didn't keep up with it. I didn't love running when I ran to lose weigh or stay in shape. I wasn't committed to it, I wasn't excited about it like I used to be. I did it just to do it. I don't mean to knock anyone who runs to lose weight or stay in shape! It just doesn't motivate me personally or inspire me to get better or improve my times or mileage.

Anyway, I'm sharing all this because I was hoping there were some other girls on here who call themselves runners and would like to share their stories about when, how, and why you became "a runner"!

1 comment:

Erika said...

That sounds awesome, I'm definitely not a runner though. I used to love to run but I'm not in the best condition health wise so I don't do it anymore. Hope there are some people out there who can relate =-) Definitely nice to have passion for something like that.