Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Freaks and Geeks



Has anyone ever heard of this show? I was looking through my family's DVD collection for something funny to watch, not too serious and definitely lacking in romance. I saw this and knew it was perfect. The show is set at a Michigan high school in the 1980's and aired for only one season on NBC back when I was in high school. It is the truest depiction of high school on TV and actually has actors who look their age and look like people I went to high school with. It's like the Wonder Years only less cheezy and much funnier. Nobody finds their one true love in it, there are no passionate declarations of love or conversations that sound like they're from a college textbook. There are some awkward dates and breakups that are painful to watch, but this is not a show about finding your true love in the 10th grade (though I know it does happen for some people). It's a show about the awkwardness and insecurity of high school and not knowing where you belong or what you want or who your friends are. It makes me so angry that this show didn't even make it through the first season. It was such a realist show with such real characters. Not to mention it was a Judd Apatow creation with awesome actors like James Franco, Jason Segel and Seth Rogen. It definitely goes on my top 5 favorite TV shows of all time. I wonder if my family will even notice if I take them with me down to Virginia...

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I remember this show, but I'm not sure I watched it? Isn't it annoying when shows you love don't make it through the first season, it happens to my husband a lot. grr.. Glad you found something funny to watch!

Brianne said...

I definitely remember that show! I didn't watch it religiously but I caught a few episodes. It makes me sad that that show which only had one season is on DVD but Ed, one of my all time favorite shows, made it like 3 seasons I think but has never been released to DVD