Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Good News, Bad News

I got good news and bad news today. I guess I will start with the bad news since that is what is weighing on my mind most. I found out from my mom that my 62 year old father is in the hospital. My first thought - and I found out my sister's as well - was "heart attack". My dad works on Wall Street and is probably the most stressed out, negative person I know (which is probably where I get it from). He should have retired 2 years ago, but obviously that is not the case, and he has just been miserable and constantly worried about his job these past several years.

I'm glad to report that he did not have a heart attack, but what he did suffer was a a cat bite. Yes, you read that right, a cat bite. A cat that my family took in three years ago escaped the other day and ran under the deck. My dad tried to pull him out and he bit him on the hand and gave him a nasty puncture wound that has gotten infected pretty badly. Apparently, cat bites are reallydangerous because they can be so deep. So word to the wise, beware of cat bites! What makes the story so strange is that this cat was the most docile, gentle thing ever. Elvis was an enormous cat, but he seriously wouldn't ever hurt a fly. My 8 1/2 pound ginger kitty chased him all around the house and he never once lifted a paw at him. I'm not sure what my family is going to do with Elvis. My mom has already said she's looked into a few no-kill shelters where she can surrender him. I'm not sure what my dad wants. He used to love Elvis, but I can't imagine he's too happy with him now after 4 days in the hospital. I called him this morning and he sounds pretty miserable. Apparently they don't get ESPN2 or the financial network on TV, which he is irate about. I hope the stronger antibiotics work and he is out of there soon! I hate thinking of my dad lying in the hospital.

The much happier news, which I was happy to share with my dad since he sounded so down, is that I finally got a bib/registration for the Ten Miler! I'm getting it from a milspouse down at Fort Hood, whose husband was MEDEVACed to the military hospital in San Antonio back in 2008. So when she found out that I wanted to run for Fisher House she jumped right on it. (Her husband is fine now, just set to deploy soon thus the selling of the registration). I'm SUPER excited to have this become official and cannot wait to officially join Team Fisher House, start raising money and increasing my mileage at the end of the month. Today is a strength training day so I think I'm going to bust out my EA Active and attempt to work with the resistance band a little. The boy has free weights, but they are a bit much for me as I'm just getting back into things. I'm thinking I might walk to the beach later since the sun is starting to come out. Really anything to avoid packing and facing the fact that I leave California in 5 days...

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I hope things turn around soon for your dad!!

I'm glad you got things set up for the run, too. Yay!