Thursday, August 19, 2010

Endorphin Highs Rock!

So this marked the official start of my training plan for the Army Ten Miler. The past couple weeks have mostly just been about getting back into a routine and used to running distances longer than a mile. Most of my runs average 2 1/2 miles until this week and I was using the Jeff Galloway method of running for 8 minutes or so and walking for 1 to get through it. They were easy slow runs and it was more just about getting me back into a routine then anything else. Since I have gotten back to Virginia I have upped my mileage and eliminated walk breaks and I am feeling great!!

I'm also an unofficial assistant coach on the high school cross country team so I have been running with the girls on the team on the trails and that has been awesome. The high school has some great trails behind it that will be a nice change from running on the road. I think tomorrow we will probably be doing some track work, which will be a nice change. Today I knocked out 3 1/2 very hilly miles. I did not have a watch on me so I wasn't able to clock it, but I was running without music for the third straight day and I love it. I used to rely so much on music to get me up a hill or through the next mile. I love being able to get through that on my own. Today's run was by no means easy. The town I live in is called "the Hill City" or "the City of 7 Hills" after all so I guess I shouldn't have expected it to be flat. Some of the hills were pretty intense and though I know I wasn't moving very fast at times, I definitely did not stop once. I powered through the hill at the end and felt VERY strong finishing, which is how I always like to finish.

I was on such an endorphin high when I got back! I forgot how much I absolutely LOVE to run! Seriously, if running were a drug...it would be illegal. I'm definitely back and feeling better than ever. Looking forward to a Happy Hour tomorrow with my teacher pals to celebrate the end of the work week and the start of the school year. Yes, that's right, I said celebrate the start of the school year. That's what running does to me!!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Yay! You're doing awesome! I'm going to have to look up that method.

Jenny said...

Glad you are enjoying the running! :)

ashley said...

I just found your blog today! I'm looking forward to keeping up with you here!