Friday, March 12, 2010

track season = the end of regular blogging

My not so subtle boyfriend reminded me today that it has been six days since I updated my blog. I know it has been a while and while I have intended to blog every day this week, I am so exhausted when I get back to my apartment after track practice that I genuinely am lucky if I remember to eat dinner. Track is incredibly exhausting/frustrating. The distance squad is awesome and I would love nothing more than to help coach them. I don't coach them however. I help coach the sprinters AKA the kids too lazy to run more than one lap who have no natural sprinting ability but call themselves sprinters. The boys team is comprised of incredibly lazy kids with serious behavior problems. The girls team is a bunch of young, lazy, unmotivated 9th grade girls who call themselves "the Black Mafia" (no lie, I couldn't make this up if I tried). They are not fast enough to be successful sprinters and don't have the work ethic to cut it at anything over a 400, but I'll see what I can do with them.

On Tuesday, Todd, the head coach, completely turned the girls over to me. He pointed to a couple hurdles and said "teach them how to hurdle" while he did the high jump with his boys. I was very surprised at how much I remembered about form when going over hurdles. I even remembered a few drills for the girls to practice. Since we only have about 7 girls, they really need to learn to do as many different events as possible. I will give them credit, they seemed to be interested and eager to learn and paid attention to me when I was instructing them about proper hurdling form. It was my first real "coaching" moment and wasn't something I'll forget anytime soon. I'm not sure if I can turn them into hurdlers or not, but we'll see. The following day I helped teach kids how to high jump, which is something I hadn't done since the eight grade! Thankfully, one of my best friends in high school was a high jumper so I was around the pit a lot and have a good idea of the basics.

I'll have to post more later. I'm pretty wiped (which is awfully sad for 9PM on a Friday) and think I will hit the hay soon. I got a new Droid this past week and I am loving it! Will have to post more on that later as well. I wish I wasn't so tired! I feel like I have so much to say about the team, how practice has gone, how my WWII unit is going and life in general. I guess it will have to wait until morning....

No comments: