Monday, March 22, 2010

Still Moovin'!



Well, I've been pretty awful at both posting about and keeping up with Casey's Get Moovin' Challenge...or at least the aspects of the challenge that she set up. As a reminder the challenge for the entire month of March was: #1 No fast food! #2 Workout at least 3 times a week! So here is how I've done so far....

The no fast food part I figured would be super easy. I can count on one hand the number of times I've eaten fast food in the last year so I didn't expect that to be a problem...except that was BEFORE track practice started. Ever since I started coaching and leaving school at 7 and 7:30 I have become a Chick-fil-A junkie. Okay, to be honest "junkie" for me means I went there once during the week, but I did it two weeks in a row. I honestly don't feel too guilty about it considering it IS Chick Fil-A and is not that awful compared to say a Big Mac. I actually check the calorie counter for my chicken sandwiches and I'm doing alright. Maybe it is JC's sad stories about no Chick-fil-A's in California, but I'm definitely starting to become obsessed with the place. I can definitely see myself getting into a habit for the rest of track season of going to Chick-fil-A once a week. I'm not proud of it, but sometimes I just don't have the energy to grade, plan AND cook dinner. The good news on the eating front is that JC and I are doing awesome with our Sunday meals. My interpretation of fast food in this challenge was always fast food in the sense of frozen/microwaveable meals that are fast to prepare. I am proud to say that since I started the challenge I have not had a single frozen meal! That includes my teacher lunch, which is still going strong with a Peanut Butter Crunch Cliff bar and a fruit cup. I recently switched over to the Dole No Sugar Added mandarin orange fruit cups as the Del Monte peaches were just WAAAAAAY too sugary for me and I absolutely love them. I think cooking with JC on Sundays has really helped my mission to eat better. Not only do we cook relatively healthy and balanced meals, but we cook enough to last the week, which helps me out a ton. Last night we made broiled salmon with mustard sauce and steamed broccoli. I just put a little bit of lemon juice and garlic powder on the broccoli (no butter!) and it was delicious. We were both pretty proud of ourselves for cooking such a healthy meal. Not to mention the fact that neither of us had never actually prepared fresh fish before so it was quite the accomplishment

As far as working out goes, I have unfortunately not had the greatest luck there. I had a great first week to start off, but track practice has completely derailed my attempts to get back into running. I have to spend too much of the practice actually coaching (which I really didn't think I would do), timing or babysitting and I don't have time to actually run anything aside from the occasional 400. I'm frustrated because I just bought a new pair of running shoes (my first pair of Brooks, which I adore!), but I think I'll probably only get to run on the weekends the way life is going right now. I honestly can't believe I've made it through two weeks of coaching. My life feels so busy right now. This half hour I'm taking to blog will be some of the only free time I have all day before I get so exhausted I fall asleep at 8:30. Words cannot begin to describe how much I am counting down to Spring Break...but back to my plan for the week.

Monday

B: cereal and banana
L: Cliff bar and fruit cup
D: salmon, broccoli, wild rice

Tuesday
B: cereal and banana
L: Cliff bar and fruit cup
D: leftover thin crust pizza (not the greatest, but it's in the fridge!)

Wednesday
B: cereal and banana
L: Cliff bar and fruit cup
D: salmon on top of a spinach salad

Thursday
B: cereal and banana
L: Cliff bar and fruit cup
D: salmon, wild rice and small spinach salad

Friday
B: cereal and banana
L: Cliff bar and fruit cup
D: haven't decided yet....possibly a take out night...

I know it's repetitive, but I don't mind eating the same thing throughout the week at all. If I get bored with it I will change it, but I never usually get tired of leftovers. I will need to try to resist the urge to run to Chick-fil-A on either Wednesday or Thursday. By then the work and grading starts to pile up and I get super exhausted.

I will also try to run more at practice when I can, though I highly doubt it will be for 30 minutes. If I get one workout in at practice then I can probably can fit in 2 runs Friday-Sunday, possibly even some EA Active action on the Wii on the "off" day. We shall see! I realize I've been awful about posting my updates about this (blame it on track season and my tendency to pass out between 8:30 and 9), but I have been trying to keep up with it as best I can.

1 comment:

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

I think the time thing is what usually does me in as well. I have to know that there is something already fixed or easy to fix at my house, if not, I swing by BK (Wish it was CFA instead!) on the way home. I'm trying to eat a snack right before I leave school so I'm not so hungry on my way past the BK!