Saturday, March 6, 2010

Getting in the Groove...

No teacher likes being observed. Unfortunately, it is a reality of the profession - and especially of a first year teacher - that administrators and other higher ups will randomly appear in your classroom from time to time to watch you teach and take notes on everything you say and do or don't do. I used to dread getting observed when I was student teaching, and while I don't exactly look forward to it, I do enjoy the post-op where I get feedback on my lessons. I am always my own worst critic and it is great to learn what an outsider thinks of the lessons. I got observed for the 4th and last time this past week. I didn't think it was a great lesson by any means, but the woman who observed me couldn't stop raving about it. Seriously, all I did was use PowerPoints, but she said my use of primary sources in there (photos and political cartoons) was outstanding. Apparently, that's not something she sees a lot in the county (she is the social studies coordinator for the whole county). I was critical of the lesson 'cos I would consider it more of a lecture. It was mostly me talking, showing images and talking about them, but I did give lots of opportunities to ask questions and engage the kids. She just LOVED it. She said it wasn't lecture at all, it wasn't me just talking and the kids taking notes. She complimented me on how awesome the PowerPoint was and said she recognized how much effort probably went into making it. It was a very positive way to end the week.

I haven't talked to JC a ton this week 'cos we've both been pretty busy. His German classes just swung into full gear and it's pretty exhausting. He described it as being like Pathfinder School, which he completed back in January, except it's 'a marathon not a sprint'. He used the ol' baseball metaphor (we do love our sports metaphors) that he used with me at the start of the school year when I was struggling. It's just about "getting out of that first inning. Then you find your groove." I told him the same thing he told me when I'd stress out about figuring out how to manage my time and get everything right, which is "that he shouldn't worry too much about giving up a few homeruns 'cos he has Albert Pujols warming up in the on-deck circle for him." Looking back, it's crazy to think about what a big role he played in my life this fall from halfway across the world in Afghanistan. He was a sounding board for me when things got rough and I needed advice on how to deal with behavior issues. The emails I would read during my planning periods were bright spots in the middle of days where all I looked forward to was the last bell. And of course he sent me the most amazing flag to hang in my classroom. I'll have to get a better picture of it, but here is the best I could do for now. It's the flag in the frame underneath the flag.
(side note: don't I have the worst teacher handwriting ever?)

The certificate under the flag basically says, "this flag was flown on a combat mission over Afghanistan for Abigail on this day...." It is so amazing. My kids really loved it and it helped me make a connection with many who came up after class to tell me their brother was in the navy or the cousin was in Afghanistan. This flag came to me back in September when I was really struggling. JC told me he was sending me something, but when I walked up the stairs to my apartment and saw this huge waist-high box I had no idea what to think. My first thought upon looking at the state of the box was honestly, "what the heck is this? it looks like it's been through a war zone." Turns out it had! I basically melted when I saw it was from him and read the note inside. I can honestly say I think that moment, when I just sat on the floor looking at the flag and reading and rereading the unbelievably supportive note, is when I started to realize I had some serious feelings for this guy over in Afghanistan. He's heard that story about a million times (and if you're reading this, JC, a million and one), but without him I don't know that I would have been able to get through my first year of teaching - at least not with my sanity intact.

Our countdown is at T-28 days and a wake-up until I fly out to see him in California for spring break. I know the time will actually fly 'cos we will both be so busy. To put it in teaching terms, I'm at the Hitler's invasion of Poland and the miracle at Dunkirk right now (yes, I'm teaching Dunkirk) with my history kids. I need to be at the Fall of the Berlin Wall by the time I go see him. I told my kids today to buckle up 'cos we're about to start racing through this content, as much as that kills me. According to the state of Virginia, all I have to teach them about the actual events of the war are the fall of France, Battle of Britain, D-Day, Pearl Harbor and the bomb. Pacing guide or no pacing guide that is just not going to happen. I will not fly through this content. I love this stuff. My kids love this stuff. It's the whole reason I became a history teacher. I will not be forced to "cover" (I hate that word) WWII in a week! SOLs and pacing guide be damned! I'll race through the Cold War if I have to and the African and Indian independence movements, but not the Second World War!

I actually have to say that, whether it's due to JC or not, I have really been enjoying my job much more since Christmas break. I always heard that after Christmas is when it gets better and you start to 'hit your groove', but it really is true. Maybe part of the factor is that I really know and love this content more thaan the earlier stuff, but even government is getting easier (and I'm learning all about appellate jurisdiction on my feet!). I don't stay up EVERY night planning lessons late into the night anymore. I have time to work out, cook actual meals, talk to my boyfriend, do fun things on the weekend. Even better, I am learning what works in the classroom and how to make the kids 'get it' and they are doing much better. I'm learning that, as much as some of them infuriate me, I really do love these kids and I will miss each and every one of them. Yes, sometimes I want to drop kick them out of the room, but even my apathetic seniors have their moments.

I am really looking forward to start coaching Monday also. I've never formally coached anything before and I'm sure it will be a 'learn as you go'/on your feet type of thing, but I really think I will like it. I watched the best documentary EVER on cross-country this weekend called "The Long Green Line".

You don't find many movies about cross-country, save from a couple Hollywood films on Steve Prefontaine, so I was excited to hear about this movie from a college pal. It is an amazing documentary that really hits on what makes running so great. Anyone can be a runner. And if you have it in your heart to be great, you can be. This school has won 24 straight cross-country championships. Somehow I don't think it's because of the water in York, Illinois. They have a great coach and they work hard. That's all there is to it. Here's to hoping I can tap some enthusiasm in the younger grades and get some girls to appreciate that aspect of running.

Okay, I've written way more than I planned. Something about blogging...I just keep going and going and going....

I didn't even get to write about the midterm break that JC found he gets in June! OR my amazing interaction after school with one of my 10th graders! OR the hysterical conversation that took place with my senior government class on Wednesday.

Alas, another time. I must make breakfast, do some grading and get ready to head to Charlottesville to reunite with the grad school game for the UVA-Maryland game. Wahoowa!!

No comments: