Thursday, March 4, 2010

Getting Lost....

So I am a huge dork and have always gotten way too into TV shows. I was obsessed with Buffy the Vampire Slayer back in high school (yeah, go ahead and laugh, but I dare you to find a list of the best TV shows of the decade that doesn't have that on it). I love Friends, Sex and the City and old reruns of 90210 and the OC are definitely guilty pleasure of mine. Several years ago, sort of on a whim, I started watching the show Alias. I think it was probably mainly because of Michael Vartan (aka the hot teacher from Never Been Kissed!), but the bottom line is I got sucked into it. So much so that I watched two whole seasons over the course of about..3 days. It was the dead of winter and I did very little aside from eat, shower, use the bathroom and watch Alias. Not my proudest moment (or was it?), but yeah, JJ Abrams hooked me. Unfortunately, all the awesome twists and turns and questions he raised through five seasons never got any answers. All he succeeded in doing was killing off my favorite character, introducing new annoying ones and most importantly not answering ANY real questions about so much that was introduced in the show.

I SWORE when Lost came out that I wouldn't watch it and I listed those exact reasons. I know JJ is not in charge of it anymore, but I still consider it the brainchild of JJ Abrams. So aside from an episode here and there I stayed away from Lost entirely...until last year when those damn preview for the new season (you know the ones with Matthew Fox yelling "we have to go back!") hooked me in. So in a matter of weeks I caught myself up on all the seasons and sat glued to my TV every Wednesday night last year and every Tuesday night this year. But Lost is starting to lose me. Make no mistake, with only 10 episodes left I will certainly keep on watching 'til the end, but I have lost all faith that they will answer so many of the questions that kept me watching for years. Sure the current good vs. evil or dueling gods/whatever the heck Jacob and Smokey McKillsABitch are is interesting and it does give an overall blanket explanation for what's going on, but it makes entire SEASONS worth of questions nothing but filler. The reality is none of the content of this season seems at all relevant to the developing story that attracted so many of us and kept us watching.

Things I DEMAND answers to (but highly doubt I will ever get)
- where is Desmond??? seriously, it is so uncool to introduce this incredible character that everyone loves and then basically ignore him for 2 seasons.
- will Desmond's time traveling ever be explained or do we just accept that he is some super time-traveling man?
- what are Widmore and Eloise all about?
- WAAALLLLLTTTT!!!! Seriously, remember the episode where the bird flew into the window? or when he appeared all dripping wet and speaking backwards to Shannon? Now he is like...18 and 6'0 tall so I doubt we'll see him again.
- why can't babies be born on the island?
- why did Locke see the smoke monster as "beautiful white light" when everyone else sees it black?
- what's the deal with Christian? Sun's father? the fortune teller? Libby?
- what the heck happened when the hatch imploded?
- who were the people in Antarctica when the hatch blew up??
- why did Cindy and the kids get kidnapped?
- why is the statue broken? who broke it? why does it have 4 toes?
- why was Sayid in Australia? (did I miss this?)
- Jack's tattoo?
- random black horse in the woods?
- who did Locke talk to in the cabin?
- how could Christian appear on the freighter way the heck off the island?
- why did Sun, Ben and Frank not flash back to 1977 when the plane crashed?
- what did blowing up the bomb accomplish (since that was the whole focal point of season 5)?
- Adam and Eve?
- why do the others whisper and then appear?
- who was shooting at Sawyer and co. last year in the outrigger?
- what is the deal with Richard?
- who is Ilana and why does she know so much?


The list could go on and on and on...

I honestly don't think many of these will ever be answered. I don't think in the current direction the show is going that there is even a role for most of these questions to get answered. But we watch on.

Are you a Lost fan? What do you think of the new season? Do you really think they will answer all those questions? Do you have any nagging questions?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

- Random black horse in the woods
A. The horses and polar bear got on the island via the Dharma Initiative, but it is odd the black horse has never re-appeared.

- People in Antarctica
A. They were people hired by Penny to "look" for any electromagnetic changes. She must have done some investigative work by snooping around her father's stuff to know that it was possible for Desmond to be on this mysterious island.

Kara (@ Kara's Marathon) said...

It drives me batty that there are so many unanswered questions, and not nearly enough time to address them all. I hate that they've effed around so much so far this season, introducing new characters (in the current timeline and the flash-sideways), then killing them off...

Oh, and if Ben dies next week I'm going to go CRAZY -- I love him so much and they haven't utilized him at all this season! I'll call you tonight and we can recap :)


Oh, and the CAPTCHA (word verification) for this comment is "Torks" -- how does your blog know I love the Monkees?? :)