Monday, March 1, 2010

Let's Get Moovin'!!

Grab My Button!

Getting inspiration from Casey over at Ever-Changing Life and making a commitment to working out and really eating right.

Her challenge was:
1. Put the above button on your blog or in your posts.
2. Commit to cutting out fast food for the month.
3. Commit to exercising in some form 3+ days a week.
4. Post your progress each Monday and link up on my blog.

I start coaching track next week and am committed to not being that coach that tells the kids to run something she can't run herself. One of my favorite things about my high school track and cross-country coach in high school was that if we had to run a 5 mile loop that day he would run it with us. He would sometimes even run our speed workouts on the track with us. The track season starts a week from today so my plan is just to get 3 or 4 runs in this week to at least get my muscles used to doing something other than sitting on the couch planning lessons, standing in front of a classroom or playing Wii. I only ran about 30 minutes today, which is not a lot considering 3 years ago I was running half marathons, but it's a start. On the urging of my wonderful boyfriend, I have been stretching every day since deciding to start running again. I have always been a huge advocate of stretching before and after workouts and that is something I intend to pass onto my kids. I actually always use a jumprope to stretch, which I highly urge everyone else to do. Okay, onto my workout plan for the week.

Monday - 30 minute run(already accomplished)
Tuesday - long stretch and some EA Active on the Wii
Wednesday - 30 minute run
Thursday - long stretch and some EA Active on the Wii
Friday - 30 minute run
Saturday - 30-45 minute run
Sunday - REST

That will give me one day to rest before practice starts up. In terms of my meal planning, I have never been a huge fast food eater. However, I am guilty of consuming "fast food" if you are referring to frozen food I can prepare fast. The last three weeks I have been committed to cooking more and eating more balanced meals. Every Sunday I have been trying a new recipe and this past Sunday it was turkey burgers, which I have never attempted to make before. I also made some wild rice and a spinach salad. Today after my run, stretch and shower I heated up both and put together another spinach salad. No points for creativity, but I didn't mind because (if I do say so myself) my turkey burgers are delicious!

I did very well food shopping this week and definitely stuck to my list when I went to Kroger with my only real impulse purchase being some stuffed portabello mushrooms that looked amazing. Breakfast for me is pretty much always either a bowl of Special K or Activia yogurt and granola. I go through phases where I get tired of one and switch to the others. I used to prepare salads for the week for lunch, but that has definitely fallen by the wayside in favor of grabbing whatever Lean Cuisine meal is on sale that week. That is the kind of fast food I have been trying to eliminate from my life, so instead my lunch has been a very minimal Cliff bar and fruit cup. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it's actually pretty satisfying. I have been awesome at drinking more water throughout the day (something I used to be GREAT at doing), especially since I bought a big case of Propel water at Sam's the other week.

All in all, I am very satisfied (albeit a little sleepy) with my progress and plan so far. I just need to buckle down on my lesson planning for tomorrow. Thankfully, I knocked out all my grading (woohoo!!) until this weekend when my sophomores turn in their dictator projects. Then I will have a mountain to grade, but based on what I have seen so far I am really looking forward to seeing them. My kids LOVE learning about Hitler and their brains exploded today when they learned about Stalin and his gulags. They couldn't believe they hadn't learned about it before.

Anyway, I have a lot to do tonight and may or may not need to consume a 5 Hour Energy to stay awake and not crash on the couch at 9PM. I know they're not the best, but hey at least they're zero calories!

2 comments:

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

I'm always impressed with people who run, it takes such dedication. You can do it! Good luck this week!

Kara (@ Kara's Marathon) said...

Good luck with your schedule -- I'm so excited you're getting back to running! :) You have to let me know all about coaching!

Let's do a health history sometime this week!