Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Your Life in Great Details: What you ate today in great detail

I expect lots of criticism after this post, but welcome to the life of a stressed out 2nd year teacher. I don't eat as much or as well as I should.

Breakfast = Carnation Breakfast Essential, which I drink in my travel mug on the way to work. I got this REALLY nice Longaberger travel mug from one of my 10th graders last year for Christmas. I felt really bad because I never used it 'cos I don't drink coffee. I like that I have found a use for it and having a travel mug with me in the car stupidly makes me feel somehow more professional.

Lunch = $2.50 cafeteria lunch. I NEVER bought lunch last year, but started to this year when A) I realized that I could get a pretty decent lunch every day of the week for $12.50. B) The kids really enjoy seeing you in the cafeteria! Former students say hello and the principal is always there with something to say (I got a week's worth of trash talking last month in the week preceding a school fundraiser 5k where we ran against each other). I usually just grab a salad from the lunch line. The salad is a pretty sad looking chef salad, but it's a lot better than any of the options ever offered to me when I was in high school. It's usually just iceberg lettuce and a carrot or two, a couple cucumbers, sometimes a piece of broccoli or cauliflower. Then there are little containers of ham, cheese, croutons, fake bacon bits, and some ranch dressing. That's what it was today. I also ate snacked on a bag of Fritos during my planning period. And two banana Laffy Taffys. I have been snacking on my reject Halloween candy for the past week, but I am glad to say today I just started handing it out to all my kids. I have no willpower and I would eat those Laffy Taffys all up. So I just started having "candy questions" by 6th period and any kid who answered a question right got candy. It's insane what those kids will do for candy!

Anyway, back to what I ate today. I drank 1 Nalgene of water while I was at school. I'm sipping one mini can of Mountain Dew as I write this (I'm sleepy and as I don't drink coffee it is my caffeine boost). I heated up some Brunswick Stew that I bought for a basketball team fundraiser last month. It's been sitting in my freezer for weeks so I heated some up today and ate it with a piece of cornbread.

As you can see, my diet on a daily basis has an awful lot to do with my job! Today was actually a much better day than most. I to run out the door without lunch more often than I'd like to admit and there are many days where I work right through my lunch break. Dinner is often a Lean Cuisine frozen dinner unfortunately and I definitely don't cook as much as I would like to, owing to the fact that I get home around 6-6:30 PM and just don't feel like cooking.

Here's to hoping the end of cross-country season means more free time to try out new meals.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I don't think you did so bad :) I can't make myself cook for just one, it's hard! I haven't gotten into eating our cafeteria lunches, they aren't really that great. haha. I also think they cost $3 for adults... but I'm not sure. Last year, I just bought the Thanksgiving meal, which was pretty good.

Hope things get less stressful soon!!