Sunday, September 5, 2010

Me and My Boys and My Football

Computer problems have forced me off the blog this past week. I had a picture for my Wordless Wednesday and my Five for Friday all ready to go, but I had to send my HP into the shop (thankfully it is covered under warranty and won't cost a dime). My temporary replacement is a bit slower and has been not so functional with allowing me to upload pictures or even get on the internet at times. Tonight I can get on, but I can not get into my fantasy football draft.

Yes, my name is Abigail and I am a fantasy football player. I have been for three years running now. Sadly because of my computer issues, for the first time in three years I have to sit back and let the computer pick out my fantasy football team for me. I am the only girl holding it down in a league full of eleven other boys so I really pride myself on drafting a good team and putting up a good fight (my team name is Title IX after all). They all call me "Babs" and have lots of fun ribbing me just 'cos I'm a female in an all boys league, but they know I'm a good sports fan and a consistently competitive member of the league. Fantasy baseball is another story, but I can hold it down alright in football.

For the past few years my enthusiasm for football and most other sports has led to many occasions where I look around and find I am the only girl surrounded by boys. It started my first day of grad school when, so excited to be at a Division I school, I excitedly asked if anyone was going to that Saturday's home football opener. There weren't many enthusiastic responses (the University of Virginia isn't exactly a football powerhouse), but there was one other grad student who said he wouldn't miss it. I am a sports fanatic and even though I have many friendships with people who couldn't tell you the difference between a free throw and a free kick, I gravitate towards people who love athletic competition as much as I do. Thus began my friendship with a fellow sports fanatic, who has also ended up being one of the most fun and loyal friends I could ask for. He was not frightened by my enthusiasm (I am crazier about football than most boys) and through him I found myself a wonderful circle of friends.

Throughout our grad school years we went to countless happy hours and trivia nights, traveled to away games and tailgated for hours at home games, we painted our faces and we stormed the field, we played wiffle ball in the spring and midnight football games when central Virginia got snow. If I tried to list all the awesome times we shared I would probably be here forever. Oh yeah, they all pretty much all happened to be boys. The story of my grad school years (and so far my years teaching and coaching) has been the story of "me and my boys".

I look forward to the annual fantasy football draft because even though we are spread out across the state of Virginia (and the country), for a few hours we all get to exchange barbs and talk like we're all together again watching away games at Wild Wings over a pitcher of beer. So let's hope the computer does an okay job drafting my team. I need to do more than just talk the talk when it is me and my boys!

No comments: