Saturday, February 13, 2010

Olympics!

I am very much enjoying my lazy Saturday at the moment. I am sitting back on the couch eating some Trader Joe's pecan praline goodness and watching the Olympics (ski jumping and biathlon!). I think the last Olympic games I got very into was probably the Salt Lake City games in 2002. It was my freshman year of college and my roommates and I got very into watching as much as we could. One of my best friends at the time was from Canada and was actually a national biathlon champ in high school(that's the event that combines cross-country shooting and riflery). Her aunt was also a prominent curler on the national scene so I got to learn a lot about that unknown and frequently mocked event too. For example, I learned the curling stone is called a "rock" and the thing that looks a swiffer is referred to as a brush. She told us all about the throwers vs. the sweepers. She tried to explain to us how you have to know when to sweep and all the strategy involved in the game. I can't say I retained the specifics of all that she taught, but I definitely do have a new respect for the sport. That year was definitely a memorable Olympic year, although I think I remember it more as a memory from freshman year than a memorable Olympics. That was the year with the crazy figure skating controversy surrounding the Canadians though! Remember that?

Aside from that year, I cannot remember a time in recent years when I have been that interested in the Olympics. JC has been excited enough for the two of us and I suppose his enthusiasm was contagious and has rubbed off on me. Last night, while watching Mike play I watched the Parade of Nations. The geography nut in me loved seeing how many nations were represented. A lot of the 'stans are there - Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan. Most of the European microcountries are competing as well - Andorra, Monaco, San Marino and Liechtenstein have pretty solid teams. I suppose Andorra makes a lot of sense since it is a tiny little country smushed between the Pyrenees Mountains. I have to say the moment that got me was the lone athlete from Ghana who came out proudly waving his nation's flag. I looked him up online when I got home and learned that he is "The Snow Leopard" (Kwame Nkrumah-Acheampong). Here is his story:


I know there are many people that don't like these kinds of athletes competing in the Olympics or all the attention their stories seem to generate. I have a friend who thinks these "sappy" stories detract from the stories behind the real athletes who actually have a chance to medal. I know that after Eddie the Eagle, the British ski jumper from the '88 Calgary games, they changed the qualifying rules, but people who have no chance at getting a medal still qualify all the time. I seem to remember an Ethiopian nordic skier, who I think I saw in the Parade of Nations last night, who finished dead last at the last games. Everyone knows about the Jamaican bobsled team, who sadly haven't qualified for the last two games. I love these stories! I don't see what the fuss is over. I ran cross-country and track all through high school and while I was never in the running for any all-county honors, I loved being able to compete with the best. That's really what the Olympics are all about, the opportunity to compete with the world's best. I think what "the Snow Leopard" is doing for his nation is a great thing. To me, these stories are the whole reason I watch the Olympics.

Are you at all excited for the Olympics? What is your favorite part of the games? Do you have a favorite event to watch or any favorite memories from previous Olympics?

1 comment:

Kara (@ Kara's Marathon) said...

I'm SO excited for men's hockey - GO MILLER!! And, as you know, I love the human interest stories just as much as you do :) I tear up during pretty much all of the medal ceremonies too...